23 April 2007

Singing

There are many things said about singing. One of the most impressive claims is that, while it does not cure, it seems it opens up patients with Alzheimer's. One patient, who was previously unable to communicate with his wife, before singing, can now communicate better. If this is proven, this is wonderful news!

I've been singing in a choir since 1994, one of the first things I did when I joined this university, was to join the choir. I have no doubt of the therapeutic value of singing, even though I can't point to any scientific proof. I have epilepsy. I am sure that the trick with epilepsy is to make sure you don't have seizures. The longer you can do that, perhaps the pathways, that were damaged, become clearer and work more normally?

Part of my therapy is drugs. Perhaps without knowing it, another part is singing?

No comments: